Specializing in Group Insurance Benefits for employees, we understand it is essential for employers to ensure their employees are happy, while keeping costs low. To help, we offer free consultations with no obligation.
We strive to find you the best price to keep the best balance for your business – after all, ensuring that your group benefit solutions remain affordable is a crucial component to the success of your your business. Why not start here?
What to know when obtaining group benefits for your Employees
While it’s important for Ontario employers to offer a competitive benefits package to attract and retain quality employees, a full suite of benefits can be cost-prohibitive for a startup. The costs of employee benefits will usually average about 5% of payroll in a small company, or as high as 25% in a larger one. Each potential benefit should be considered and defined carefully.
Developing an employee benefits package
Before you develop a benefits package, take the time to understand:
- What matters most to your employees
- As an employer, what you can afford to spend
Competitive employee benefits commonly include:
- Health insurance (e.g., coverage for medications, physiotherapy, upgraded hospital care)
- Employee assistance programs
- Vision care
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Additional vacation allotments above that required by the Ontario Employment Standards Act
- Paid sick days
- Short-term disability insurance (Tip: Investigate the disability coverage provided under Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan to determine if additional coverage is needed)
- Long-term disability insurance (Tip: This should be paid by the employee. It saves the employer money, but, more importantly, the employee will not be taxed on the benefit should they ever need to claim it)
- Group RRSP or pension plans (separate from Canada Pension Plan)
- Education and training
- Flexible work arrangements
Setting up your employee benefits package
Employee benefits packages are becoming increasingly complex. There is more flexibility than ever before. It’s strongly recommended that employers enlist the help of experienced professionals to help them navigate the process of setting up a benefits program. Without leveraging specific expertise, employers often get caught by growing liabilities and steep costs.
Working with IGS Insurance Inc. can help tremendously in defining a competitive benefits program. We can provide relevant data and expert guidance to help you get the most from your benefits investment. If you can, obtain at least three different proposals to assess the costs and value from different perspectives.
Containing costs of your employee benefits program
When designing the benefits program, employers can use strategies to limit or contain costs in the longer term. These may include:
- Sharing the cost of premiums between the company and employee
- Building deductibles into the coverage
- Considering the level of coverage, or “co-insurance” (e.g., does the employer cover 50% of dental costs, or 80%, or 100%?)
- Capping coverage at certain limits (e.g., $400 for vision care over a set period of time)
- Limiting carry-over of unused sick days
Buying Group Benefit Plans
Many of today’s experienced workforce are more than adamant about having a proper and well-placed employee benefit plan. IGS Insurance is here to help ensure that you can attract the best employees and are able to keep your best employees. We provide top class Health, Dental, Extended Health, Travel, Best Doctors and Cost Plus plans, and can also provide employee contribution pension plans upon request.
If you own a company with over 5 employees (including yourself), it may be time to implement a benefit strategy which provides you company with the diversity, growth and potential it deserves. We work very closely with our clients to design plans that work the absolute best for your company.